To localize gaim1.5.0 for Linux box. Steps are as follows..
1. Get source1.5.0 tarball from http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
2. Untar it $tar zxvf gaim-1.5.0.tar.gz. You will get a directory named gaim-1.5.0
3. In the directory gaim-1.5.0/po/, you will find a gaim.pot file which is a po template file.
4. Translate the gaim.pot file and save it there in the same directory(gaim-1.5.0/po/) as "Lang.po", where "Lang" is the target language for which you have translated the pot file.
For ex: if you have translated the gaim.pot file for telugu then save this file after complete
translation as "te.po".
5. In the directory gaim-1.5.0 , you will find configure file. Add "te" to ALL_LINGUAS variable.
ALL_LINGUAS="am az bg ca cs da de en_AU en_CA en_GB es et fi fr he hi hu it ja ka ko lt mk my_MM nb nl nn pa pl pt_BR pt ro ru sk sl sq sr sr@Latn sv te tr uk vi xh zh_CN zh_TW"
6. Further current directory as gaim-1.5.0 , configure the source as
7. The gaim with your language is installed to your system. If you want to run gaim in the language for which you localized, change the locale of your system by $LANG=te_US and then run gaim.
8. If you want to make rpm from the source inclusive of your language. The above 5 steps is followed and then tar the gaim-1.5.0 directory as $tar zcvf gaim-1.5.0.tar.gz gaim-1.5.0 and put this gaim-1.5.0.tar.gz to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES. Copy gaim.spec from "gaim-1.5.0/gaim.spec" to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS. And as a super user run
$rpmbuild -ba gaim.spec from the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory.
After successfull completion of the above command rpm will be builded in
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 directory "gaim-1.5.0-0.i386.rpm".